As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Our Associate portal can be found here
Advanced shooting means having the best hunting gear that you can afford. Skilled hunters know that the chances of hitting your target lie with how prepared you are. One way of improving your accuracy is by using shooting sticks. Shooting sticks prove to be helpful, especially when you have to take long shots.
Avid hunters go on for days holding a stand, and shooting sticks will help you handle fatigue issues while on the hunt. Sometimes keeping hold of a rifle brings pressure to your body. You can make it better by using a shooting stick as it will bear part of the weight and still hold your position with little or no effort.
However, there is one obstacle when it comes to choosing the ideal shooting stick for the hunt. The market is flooded with so many that finding the one that meets your needs can be challenging. Shooting sticks have many uses while outdoors, and you should opt for the strong and extremely durable ones to lean over when tired from a long trek.
In this article, I have taken the liberty to narrow down the search for you. I have three of the best shooting sticks using criteria based on quality, affordability, and functionality. You will also find a guide on the things to consider before settling for a particular shooting stick.
Best Overall Shooting Stick for Hunting
- Dimensions: Aluminum Tripod - 7 - 59 of height adjustment and weighs 8.5 pounds
- Ease of use: This stable shooting platform features an adjustment knob that controls up to 50 degrees of tilt and a clamping head that pans 360 degrees with tension adjustment
- Versatility: Features a 3-position leg lock for use in the prone, kneeling, sitting and standing positions and can secure any weapon for hands-free use
- Durable: With a durable aluminum construction and large diameter aluminum legs, this rugged shooting rest is ready for all situations
When looking for something durable, then the BOG tripod is your preferred choice. It is aesthetically appealing and suitable for all kinds of outdoor activities, including hunting and photography.
It is easily adjustable and can extend from 22-88-inches with relative ease. The measurement markings on the tripod legs are in inches to help you to be more accurate when setting it up, especially on level ground. A tripod has better stability than both a monopod and a bipod, and this is no exception. An adjustable leg means that you can use it when standing regardless of your height.
It has leg stops that help you curb overextension, and the hand grips foam are insulated to give you a comfortable grip. Most hunters assume that tripods are heavy, but this is a misconception. The BOG RLD tripod is compact when on fold and lightweight as well. Not so many tripods are associated with less weight, and finding one is difficult when you do not know what materials make a lightweight tripod.
The legs are of aluminum material for durability and longevity of use. It has an anodized exterior to make it all-weather suitable for use in all environments and seasons. It is also anti-rust and scratch that will make it shiny for many years to come. It comes with a Velcro strap to bind the legs together while in transit. The travel bag has a shoulder strap to make it portable and easy to carry.
- This tripod has excellent stability
- It is built using durable materials hence long-lasting.
- It is an all-weather, rust, and scratch-proof tripod.
- Compact and lightweight
- Not suitable for rough handling.
Best Budget Shooting Stick for Hunting
Vanguard Scout Bi-Pod
- Lightweight aluminum alloy gun pod features rubber V shaped yoke
- V-shaped yoke swivels 360 degrees allowing shots from any angle
- 20mm aluminum alloy legs. Folded height: 22 1/4. Extended height: 62. Weight: 1.10 lbs.
- Quick release leg clips allow legs to be extended and locked securely into place easily
- Bi pod includes cushioned foam hand grips, adjustable leg strap, and rubber tipped feet
The Vanguard Scout Bi-pod, which means it has two adjustable legs. It is among the top-rated shooting sticks you will find today, as it is both durable and reliable. Its primary advantage is its versatility. When outdoors, you can use it as a walking stick, and when hunting, it is a shooting rest.
When shooting on unstable fields, the Vanguard Scout B62 Bipod offers you the stability you need. It gives the best results when used in a standing or prone position. Although it is hardy and stable, you must support it as it cannot stand alone like a tripod stand. Most people find this cumbersome, yet you do not use any energy, if any.
It is compact when on fold and lightweight, making it suitable for hunters that keep switching hunting positions. What most people like about it is that it is simple to set up and has an adjustable height making it usable for both children and adults.
A bipod that is adjustable like the Vanguard Scout will impress many hunters with its aesthetic appeal and functionality. The all-weather feature makes it hardy and will serve you for many years. If you must set up fast, as often is the case, you can rely on the quick release feature to ensure you do so in a second. The markings on the legs also help you to set up accurately.
- It comes with a V-shaped yoke that rotates 360-degrees
- Comes with an adjustable leg strap
- Both compact and lightweight
- It is an all-weather bipod with comfortable foam grips
- The quick-release makes it easy to set up fast
- Works best on level ground
- People complain of stiffness from the leg locks
Best Premium Shooting Stick for Hunting
BOG Camo (Best Premium)
- DIMENSIONS: CLD-3 Tripod - 22” – 68” usable height when legs are spread and weighs 40 oz
- EASE OF USE: Inch markers on the middle telescoping leg sections help to quickly reach a set height and integrated leg stops prevent over extension
- VERSATILITY: Can be used in the sitting, kneeling or standing positions and the legs adjust independently out to a 40-degree angle with adjustable tension to ensure maximum accuracy and stability while hunting or shooting photography
- DURABLE: Three-section, high-strength, lightweight aluminum legs with matte camo pattern finish, screw out foot spikes for added stability and a non-marring Universal Shooting Rest that swivels 360 degrees
The BOG Camo is a tripod that will surprise many as a durable shooting stick. Most hunters prefer its quality and versatility besides its other attributes. The BOG camo bipod is a versatile stick that is unmatched and unrivaled when it comes to stability. Other shooting sticks of the same price range have little to offer in comparison.
The BOG Camo has two versions. The other version is a short tripod camo that can only extend up to 35-inches and is the best to shoot while seated or kneeling. The BOG Camo bipod can extend up to 68-inches to cover standing, seated, and kneeling shots.
It features a U-shaped yoke that rotates 360 degrees and is one of the smoothest rotations you will experience. Despite swiveling with ease, you must exert some little pressure as it is flexible enough to allow stability and maneuverability.
The aluminum legs have inch marks to ensure that you set your stand accurately. It is both compact and lightweight as it only weighs two pounds. It is also portable, and the less weight makes it easy to carry from one hunting spot to another regardless of how far apart they are.
- Compact and lightweight
- Both stable and durable
- Easy to adjust and set up
- It comes with a rubberized U-shaped swiveling yoke.
- Comes with a bag that has shoulder straps
- You cannot detach the yoke
- Not possible to shoot from a low position
Buyers Guide for the Best Shooting Sticks for Hunting
Type of Stick
When choosing shooting sticks, there are only three types you can buy. The field pod is also known as a monopod. A bipod has two legs, while a tripod has three legs.
Tripods have better stability than both field-pods and bipods, and they can stand alone. Bipods, on the other hand, will need some form of support from you but not so tasking. As for field pods, they are quite large to give you maximum accuracy when shooting from a long distance.
The Construction Material
When choosing a shooting rest, the idea is to get the most durable to serve you for many years to come. The standard material for shooting sticks is usually aluminum or carbon fiber. When you want a lighter model, carbon fiber is the best; however, they don’t last as long as the slightly heavy aluminum. Shooting sticks available today are mostly made from aluminum or carbon fiber.
Yoke or carriage is the place you will rest your rifle while holding a stand during a hunt. There are many designs and shapes of yokes, some V-shaped, while others U-shaped. However, you should ensure that it can make a 360-degrees turn. Tilting up and down is also an added advantage if it comes with the model as it makes it flexible to follow a moving target.
Legs and Its Tips
The legs of a good shooting stick are what determines the stability you will experience. The height of its legs also determines whether you can use it standing, kneeling, or seated. Strong legs will last many years, but you should consider foldable legs to accommodate compactness and ease of portability.
The tips come rubberized so that you can enjoy stability even when on a slippery floor. The most vital role of shooting rest legs is stability and the weight it can support.
Compact and lightweight shooting sticks for outdoors are great, especially if you plan for a long trek into the woods. A shoulder strap also helps to free your hands en-route to your hunting stand. Maneuverability also means how you handle the shooting stick while in the field. A 360-degree rotation helps to switch sides and position without moving the stand.
Suppose you are still not yet convinced that shooting sticks will aid you have more accurate shots, then you should try one. Finding shooting sticks will make all the difference when hunting using one for the first time.
A good shooting stick offers you more than just support and stability. It builds your confidence when taking long-distance shots. Before you settle for a particular design, you should ensure that you consider the hunting situation you will have for the shooting stick.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.
36 years old, been hunting and fishing my entire life – love the outdoors, family, and all kinds of hunting and fishing! I have spent thousands of hours hunting hogs and training hunting dogs, but I’m always learning new stuff and really happy to be sharing them with you! hit me up with an email in the contact form if you have any questions.