As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Our Associate portal can be found here
Have you been outdoors hunting for hogs before? If yes, which hunting knives did you bring along? With the wide range of hunting knives, you might find it hard to settle on a specific knife(s) to complete your hunting gear.
Outdoor hunting is fun and effective in clearing your mind from the tiresome activities in your busy life. This comprehensive guide highlights the guidelines you should consider when selecting the best hog hunting knife for you. A list of five top hog hunting knives is available for further guidance for your decision making.
Keep in mind that these are our picks and you might have different preferences than us.
What Characteristics Are There for A Good Hog Hunting Knife?
The characteristics of a good hog hunting knife include;
- Has a good sheath– The house of your hog hunting knife should be made of high quality to maintain your knife in perfect condition. A perfectly crafted sheath has a loop, making it easy to strap on your leg or belt. Your casing should be of an excellent size to make the insertion and removal of your knife easy.
- Has a Good Size– When hunting for hogs, you need to get a knife that you can handle comfortably. Most preferably, the size of your knife should be five inches or more to ensure that your hunting expedition runs smoothly.
- Budget-Friendly– Hog hunting knives are available in different shapes, sizes, quality, and price. Your ideal hog hunting knife should be available at a friendly price for you. While shopping, do not let avoid quality knives to save a few dollars for the sake of inferior quality.
- Durable– A good hog hunting knife should last for several years without breaking, rusting, or retaining stains. You might opt for stainless steel, or titanium knife to stand the test of time and regular use while hunting and outside your hunting expeditions.
- Easy to Sharpen– Most blades are bought while razor-sharp and ready to chop off some parts. While using your knife over time, it gets blunt, making it necessary for you to make it sharper. It is best to get a blade that can be sharpened quickly and easy to save on time.
What Materials Do We Look For?
While searching for the best hog hunting blade for you, consider the materials highlighted below.
- 420 HC- 420 HC is a stainless steel that is quite popular among hunting enthusiasts specialized in hunting different types of game. The material is highly resistant to corrosion and is easy to sharpen. the
- Crucible’s S30V- S30V is one of the best blades that deliver optimal performance. The blade has outstanding resistance to rust, edge retention, and easy sharpening. You might spend a fortune to acquire an S30V blade but is worth every dime.
- 154 CM- 154CM has similar properties to VG10 but is quite thinner. 154CM is easy to sharpen but quite vulnerable to corrosion, hence the need for utmost care in your handling and storing your knife.
- VG-10- VG10 blades are built to have a strong resistance to rust, excellent edge retention, and can be sharpened easily. You will discover that well-balanced steel is quite fun and enjoyable to use daily.
- Wood– wood is popular in the preparation of durable and aesthetically beautiful handles for knives. You will discover that a wooden handle gives your hand a superior grip that you need while hog hunting. You shall need to store your knife in good condition to make it last longer.
- Metal– the handle of your hunting knife can be made of stainless steel or titanium to make them more durable. Titanium handles are lightweight and relatively prone to scratches. On the other hand, stainless steel handles are also lightweight and less grippy in your hand.
- Micarta– Micarta is a lightweight synthetic material that is durable, comfortable, and beautiful. Blades with micarta handles are relatively expensive because the carving takes relatively longer, more energy, and levels of expertise.
Where Is the Best Place to Keep It on Your Body?
- Waist– the waist is a comfortable and efficient point for your knives. You can dangle the blade from your belt, use an outside waistband that holds the tip of your hunting knife facing up or down. Your legs are allowed to make free movements with minimal chances of injury.
- Thigh– A leg strap allows you to hold the hunting knife comfortably on your thigh. You need a comfortable strap that can hold as you move between bushes at varied paces. You may also keep an extra knife on the bag, neck, or waist.
- On bag– your bag provides adequate space for your accessories on the inside and outside. You can clip your hog hunting knife at a point that you can easily reach for whenever the need arises. The bag allows you to carry several knives that you may need on the hunt comfortably.
Do You Need Different Ones for Different Tasks?
The duties of a knife are majorly oriented towards cutting. However, while hunting, you need to make a careful selection of your knives to handle different tasks efficiently. While hunting for hogs, you need to get a multi-purpose blade that is efficient for skinning and separating bone. As a hunter and lover of knives, you should accessorize by getting a collection of knives of varying shapes, purposes, sizes, and durability.
Where Do You Buy the Best Ones?
- From other hunters– Second-hand hunting knives are quite handy as you are guaranteed of high quality for each purchase. You can get a hog hunting knife or a full hunting gear from your friends, relatives, or hunters looking to make fast money by selling the hunting gear you need.
- Online vendors– You can get quality hog hunting knives from online stores like Amazon. The online store saves you the trouble of making a trip to the physical store to get a hunting knife. You can purchase a full hunting gear at subsidized prices for your bulk purchase.
- Retail stores– you can visit a physical retail store for the best hog hunting knives available in the market. The store allows you to interact with fellow hunting enthusiasts and a team of staff that provides relevant guidance.
Which Are the Best Hog Hunting Knives?
These are five hog hunting knives that can work out well for your outdoor experience.
OVERALL WINNER: ESEE Knives 5P Fixed Blade Knife
ESEE knives 5P are made using a high-carbon 1095 steel. The clip-point knife is relatively light in your hand, allowing you to wield it with much ease. An ESEE 5P knife is a multi-purpose hunting knife that you can also use for different tasks in addition to hunting. Your micarta handle is made rugged and comfortable in your hands as you make you are out hunting. A safety slide feature on the sheath makes it more convenient and safer to use at any time. You can effectively use the blade for indoor or outdoor activities like hunting, self-defense, and camping
Benefits of ESEE Knives 5P Fixed Blade
- ESEE 5P knife is ready to use as it is delivered with oiled surfaces and razor-sharp edges that can be sharpened easily.
- The high-quality blade is indestructible, highly durable, and can stand the test of time.
- Your blade is made more attractive by the handle made of micarta canvas.
- The blade, which is made of 1095 carbon steel is easy to sharpen.
Disadvantages of ESEE Knives 5P Fixed Blade
- You need extra precautionary measures to protect your blade from stain and rust.
- Edge retention of the blade is relatively lower when compared to similar items.
RUNNER UP: KA-BAR Becker BK2
KA-BAR Becker BK2 serves as a multi-purpose knife that you can use comfortably while hog hunting. It has a thick blade, weighs more than a pound, more than 10” in length, and has a blade measuring five and a half inches. The blade is heavy but plays a vital role in eliminating the need for several knives for different purposes. The handle of KA-BAR Becker BK2 is made of Grivory to ensure that you get a comfortable and grip. I recommend this blade for its efficiency as a camping, ultimate survival, and hunting knife.
Benefits of KA-BAR Becker BK2
- It is highly durable. Your KA-BAR Becker BK2 can be used for everyday purposes in the kitchen and regular hunting expeditions without breaking.
- It is highly resistant to rust. The blade is highly resistant to rust and other corrosions, making it effective to use in all climatic conditions while hunting outdoors.
- The handle has ergonomic features allowing it to rest in your palm comfortably. You can use the blade in cutting and skinning for long hours without losing grip.
- This blade is easy to sharpen.
Disadvantages of KA-BAR Becker BK2
- The weight can be overwhelming during your first time of using the blade, making it more efficient in the hands of experienced hunters.
- You might need to get a different sheath to keep your blade safe and sound as you maneuver.
BEST BUDGET OPTION: Buck Knives 119
Buck Knives 199 is part of the entire buck series. This particular hog hunting knife has a six-inch clip blade of 420HC. The US-Made knife assures you of quality through an extended period of edge retention and outstanding strength. The solid blade 10.5-inch knife allows you to make cuts and maneuver easily. Buck 119 is solidly fixed, ensuring that there are no weak joints that might limit you from using the knife. At seven and a half pounds only, it can be easily carried in the leather sheath, bag, or belt.
Benefits of Buck Knives 119
- Buck knives 119 are lightweight and can be handled efficiently by different hand sizes.
- Each purchase of the ergonomic blade is subject to a lifetime warranty from Buck.
- It is razor-sharp and is effective in edge retention, making it sufficient for regular use.
- The knife is highly durable and can last for a lifetime and passed to the next generation.
Disadvantages of Buck Knives 119
- Buck knives 119 have a concealed tang that can easily pass for a full tang.
- It does not have a lanyard hole.
- You might find it quite hard to get a good grip when hands are wet.
PREMIUM OPTION: Buck 124 Frontiersman Fixed Blade Knife
The US-built knife delivers high performance backed by a lifetime warranty. The 61/4-inch blade looks like a small sword but works more efficiently as a multi-purpose knife for complicated and highly delicate tasks. The extra length is advantageous when skinning and chopping parts of your hog kill. The knife comes ready to use as it comes with razor-sharp edges straight from the box. A genuine leather sheath is available to make it easier for you to carry the blade weighing 13.3 ounces. Buck 124 Frontiersman features a micarta handle that requires a little bit of expertise.
Benefits of Buck 124 Frontiersman Fixed Blade Knife
- It is very efficient for a wide range of applications, from heavy-duty to light duties.
- It is razor-sharp, well-polished, and easy to sharpen for subsequent uses.
- The hog hunting knife is subject to lifetime warranty coverage.
Disadvantages of Buck 124 Frontiersman Fixed Blade Knife
- The micarta handle requires more expertise for handling it when hands are wet.
- The size of the handle can limit people with smaller hands when using the knife for long.
SET OPTION: Elk Ridge – Outdoors 2-PC Fixed Blade Hunting Knife Set
Elk Ridge is a unique hunting knife that ensures you get the right value for your money. Each purchase involves the acquisition of two decent and quality blades that are efficient for different purposes at an affordable price. The seven-inch knife is effective for skinning. An additional gut hook of 6.5 inches is available for field dressing making your hunting gear complete. The ergonomic handles are textured to give you a tighter grip. One downside is that the leather sheath does not have space for replacement blades.
Benefits of Elk Ridge – Outdoors 2-PC Fixed Blade Hunting Knife Set
- Each purchase delivers excellent value for money. You get a set of two blades that are efficient for different outdoor purposes.
- It is highly durable and resistant to corrosion and rust.
- Both blades are lightweight and lethal.
- Each blade is easy to sharpen.
Disadvantages of Elk Ridge – Outdoors 2-PC Fixed Blade Hunting Knife Set
- There is no space in your sheath for the replacement blades.
- Handles of both blades are a little bit small.
- You might need to get professional sharpening before commencing usage.
Getting an ideal hog hunting knife requires precision to get the best value for your money. The list above highlights five hog hunting knives that can serve you well and how to make the best choice for a good hunting knife. The guidelines above can help you to make an informed choice based on your fashion tastes and preferences from the wide range of available hunting knives.
If you need some help getting started check out our beginner’s guide on hog hunting here.
Happy hunting my friends!
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.
36 years old, been hunting and fishing my entire life – love the outdoors, family, and all kinds of hunting and fishing! I have spent thousands of hours hunting hogs and training hunting dogs, but I’m always learning new stuff and really happy to be sharing them with you! hit me up with an email in the contact form if you have any questions.