As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Our Associate portal can be found here
AR is Armalite Rifles and Armalite is the Manufacturer. People tend to assume AR stands for Assault Rifle which is very inaccurate as you will see. The 15 represents the model of the firearm and most guns conform to this naming pattern. Unless it is the Russian AK47 which is named after the inventor and the year it was first produced.
It is the same for other rifles and an example is the M16 military-grade rifle which means Model 16. Therefore the AR 15 is the 15th weapon design to be produced by the Armalite Rifle Company. Here is a list of some of the AR models.
- AR1 para-sniper rifle. Bolt action
- AR3 7.62x51mm select-fire prototype uses a test for design tweaks.
- AR5 .22 hornet survival bolt action
- AR7 .22 long rifle survival rifle semi auto.
- AR9 12 gauge shotgun forerunner of AR17
- AR10 7.62x51mm select-fire
- AR11 .222 Remington prototype of a smaller AR3 design
- AR12 7.62x51mm battle rifle prototype
- AR13 Hypervelocity multi barrel for aircraft
- AR14 308 Winchester semi auto sporting rifle
- AR15 .223/5.56x45mm select-fire forerunner of M-16
- AR16 7.62x51mm select-fire
- AR17 semi auto shotgun
- AR18 7.62x51mm select-fire
- AR180 civilian model of AR18
What Makes AR 15 a Popular Rifle
The military first adopted the use of the AR 15 rifles during the Vietnam War. It was an alternative to the M-14 rifle, which people considered heavy, difficult to control, and outmatched by the AK-47. In 1959, Colt, a gun manufacturer purchased the rights to the rifle but then suffered a difficulty selling it to the U.S. military. It however received much attention as a civilian rifle.
The AR-15 and its many variants are popular among gun owners, because of the advantages it gives to a shooter. It is a lethal firearm in anyone’s hands. In recent years, it has been making headlines for all the wrong reasons. Despite several cases of mass shooters using AR 15, we must acknowledge that any firearm in the wrong and untrained hands is lethal.
What are the Defining Characteristics of the AR 15 Rifle
The reason the military selected the M-16 over the AR 15 is that it is a fully automatic firearm while the AR 15 is a semi-automatic rifle. It means that the M16 fires several rounds with each pull of the trigger. Compared to the civilian counterpart, for the AR-15, the shooter needs to pull the trigger to fire each shot.
The AR 15 design is for speedy reloading in combat situations, and the ability to fire dozens of rounds in seconds.
The stock, or the butt of the rifle, has a large internal spring that will absorb the shock of each shot. The low recoil makes the AR 15 easier to shoot and therefore more accurate than previous military weapons. It is also easy to customize it as it is compatible with most accessories like scopes, lasers, and mounts among others.
Reasons You Should Own the AR 15 Rifle
- The AR 15 rifle fires 30 rounds on tap. It is more than other options.
- It has better ergonomics than most handguns and shotguns.
- Better compatibility making it easy to attach lights, red dot optics, etc.
- Has low recoiling rounds that make accurate follow up shots.
While the AR 15 rifle is not appropriate for everyone, there is a reason most people choose their preferred weapons. Almost always people choose AR-pattern rifles. It has proven to be proven effective and has undergone huge amounts of improvements and upgrades. A modern, high-quality AR-pattern rifle is hard to beat and is among the best choices for home defense.
AR-style rifles are modular so you can build