As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Our Associate portal can be found here
Most hunting dog owners go out of their way to provide excellent training and exercise, good veterinary care and treatment, great food as well as a place to stay – either a kennel or a spot in the house. But, not everyone makes a similar effort when it comes to providing their gun dogs with an excellent place to sleep or rest.
Beat up mattresses, washed-out pieces of carpet, worn-out blankets, and upholstered furniture built for human use are often the go-to dog beds. These types of bedding materials are however insufficient and even hazardous for your canine.
Dogs spend about 75 percent of their entire lives either sleeping or resting in a prone position. So a good bed is vital for any dog’s physical health and general well-being. Dogs (especially hunting dogs that undergo physically demanding training and hunting field experiences) need a good bed to help them maintain a healthy muscular condition, a stable skeletal system, and a robust joint and connective tissue system.
What to Look out for When Buying a Dog Bed
Your Hunting Dog’s Need
Each dog is unique and thus has distinctive needs that you need to consider when you’re shopping for a dog bed. Older dogs need more support and thus need a given type of dog bed that offers extra support and comfort.
Some dogs are extra furry and so you need to get them a bed that you can easily vacuum and clean. Dogs with sharp and large toenails or dogs that love to bite into things, need a bed made of sturdy fabrics that aren’t torn easily. So before you start shopping for a dog bed, evaluate your dog’s needs.
Shape and Size
Your choice of bed should, for the most part, be hinged on the size of your dog. You should also consider your dog’s posture when sleeping. Some dogs curl up while others stretch out the legs, neck, and head.
You should also think about the space where you’ll place the bed. The shape and size of the dog bed you choose should be based on the size of the space in the kennel or your house. You also need to consider your budgetary limitations.
The bed should either be elevated off the ground or sufficiently padded to keep your dog warm and comfortable. A comfortable hunting dog equals resilience during training and hunting, as well as less destructive and rambunctious tendencies.
Even potty trained dogs can have occasional accidents or even soil the bed out of defiance. So ideally, a dog bed should come with a water-resistant casing that protects the core layers from damage.
Materials get dirty and absorb odors with use. So if you want your dog to sleep in a clean and fresh environment, you should go for easily washable beds or beds with removable and washable covers.
Dogs often develop physical disorders like joint diseases and hip dysplasia. A lot of these health conditions are exacerbated by a poor sleeping environment. A veterinary can advise you on the ideal beds which will help your dog recuperate and possibly prevent these problems from developing in the first place. Here are some of the best beds for your hunting dog:
Best Dog Bed for the Car
If you’re heading out for a hunting trip and you want to keep furry friends comfortable while at the same time keeping your luggage light. Chuckit! Travel Dog is a perfect dog bed for you.
- Well-sized: This dog bed is 30 * 39 sized, which makes it ideal for large, medium, and small dogs.
- Water-resistant: The bed is made of water-resistant material. It’ll, therefore, keep your dog dry and clean even when you’re out hunting in a damp environment.
- Portable: The bed comes with a nylon sack and it rolls up compactly which makes it easy to transport to wherever your hunting impulses take you.
- Easy to wash and breathable material: This Chuckit! dog bed is made using soft and durable poly-suede which is a breathable and machine washable material. So wherever you are, your hunting dog won’t roast in heat. It also comes with a built-in loop that’ll help you hand it dry.
- Easy to clean
- Works great for both big and small dogs
- No significant con
All these features make the Travel Dog Bed one of the best indoor dog house beds as well as an ideal traveling dog bed.
Best Dog Bed for the Indoors
This Big Barker Dog bed provides incredible comfort and support, it doesn’t flatten over time, and it’s easy to clean. It’ll also look fantastic in your house.
- Therapeutic memory foam: This orthopedic bed is built to help your dog maintain its youthfulness and to bring the best out of older dogs. If you want to get a sense of excellence in this bed, lay on it.
- 10-year warranty: If this foam doesn’t retain its original loft and shape for the next 10 years, you’ll get your money back.
- Easy to wash: The bed is machine washable.
- Ideal for all dogs: Whether your hunting dog is healthy and vigorous, recovering from surgery, or dealing with conditions like arthritis or other muscle and bone disorders, this bed will serve it exceptionally well.
- 10-year warranty
- Ideal for all dog sizes – comes in Giant XXL, XL, and Large
- Won’t flatten
- Machine washable
- Provides relief for recovering dogs
- A bit pricey
All these features make this Big Barker Bed one of the best washable dog beds and an excellent all-round dog bed – buy it here.
Best Camo Dog Bed
This dog bed is made using the durable duck that Carhartt uses in their bibs and jackets. To make it even better, this Carhartt dog bed comes with an easily removable and washable cover, which means you can easily ensure that your hunting dog sleeps in an odorless and clean bed.
- Durable and water-repellent: The duck canvas casing is durable and water-repellent.
- Solidly built: Its cushion enables the polyester core to remain in place.
- Washable: The shell is machine washable
- Removable cover: You can easily remove and wash or interchange the outer cover.
- Waterproof dog bed cover
- Brilliantly tailored
Every hardworking hunting dog deserves a nice place to rest. This Carhartt canvas dog bed with removable covers will serve your gun dog well.
Best Dog Bed for a Large Dog
To create this comfortable dog bed that accommodates even the biggest dogs and caters to dogs’ natural impulses, Casper combines its extensive mattress-making expertise with vast dog-centered research. The bed also comes with a foam bolster that creates a safe and cozy space for your dog to lay its head.
- Washable: Comes with a machine-washable removable cover that’s slobber-resistant and impenetrable to fur.
- Sturdy: Its micro-fiber blended material is rip-resistant and durable.
- Comes in sizes that accommodate from small to extra-large dogs
- Durable cover material
- Not ideal if your dog is sickly or old and thus needs extra support
All these features make this covered dog bed ideal for any healthy and strong hunting dog.
Best Outdoor Dog Bed
Because of its easy-to-clean and lightweight build, this versatile bed makes for an excellent outdoor dog bed as well as one of the best indoor dog house beds. Besides, if your hunting dog is a serious chewer, this elevated pet bed does away with the inviting fiber. Instead, this bed was built using sturdy polyethylene fabric framed by a powder-coated steel structure.
- Off-the ground design: The bed’s elevated build and breathable fabric ensures increased airflow as well as limits hot spots and thus ensures that your dogs sleep on a pleasant surface.
- Enhanced comfort: The suspended platform made of high-density polyethylene improves the level of comfort by reducing the pressure on your dog’s joints.
- Lightweight and Durable: The sturdy powder-coated steel framework makes this bed super-light and durable.
- Mildew, mold, flea, and mite resistant.
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Portable and thus works great for both outdoor and indoor settings
- Breathable fabric
- The frame does falter after a long period use, but considering the price, this dog bed still offers good value
If you’re looking for a budget dog bed that works great for both indoor and outdoor settings, this bed won’t disappoint you.
Buy it here on Amazon!
Best Waterproof Dog Bed
This Go Pet Club memory foam mattress will relieve your dog’s pains and aches after an intense training session or a hunting trip. The bed is also fantastic for pets with muscle and joint stiffness, arthritis, and hip dysplasia. Besides, this dog bed comes with a two-layered protective covering. The inner cover is waterproof, while the outer faux suede layer is easily removable and washable.
- Waterproof: The waterproof inner cover ensures the mattress remains dry even when your dog has accidents.
- Great for recovery: The bed is made of 100 percent orthopedic memory foam which means it’s great for training and hunting recovery, as well as for pets with muscle and joint problems or arthritis.
- Non-allergic: It’s made out of foam and suede which are non-allergenic.
- Maintains shape: It doesn’t flatten over time.
- Washable outer cover
- Waterproof inner cover
- Maintains shape
- Reasonably priced
- Well-made and supportive
- You may need to clean the covers soon after your dog has an accident, otherwise, the smell may linger for longer.
All these features considered, this Go Pet Club Solid Memory Foam Orthopedic Pet Bed is certainly one of the best dog beds with removable covers.
Best Elevated Dog Bed
This elevated dog bed protects your hunting dog from uneven, damp, and cold surfaces which makes it perfect for hunting and camping trips, and other outdoor activities in which an elevated bed protects against insects and moisture.
- Portable: The bed is foldable, lightweight, and easy to transport – it can easily fit into your cargo area or trunk.
- Water-resistant: The bed is made of polyester oxford fabric which is heavy-duty as well as water-resistant. Your pet will have a comfortable and dry area to sleep even in high humidity conditions.
- Sturdy frame: The bed’s framework is sturdy, rust-resistant, and powder-coated.
- UV-resistant material
- Sturdy and rust-resistant frame
- It does not suit extra-large dogs.
This elevated dog basket/cot is perfect for outdoor and indoor settings, and it is excellent for dogs with muscle and joint issues.
Best Dog Bed Mat
This HeroDog crate mat is comfortable and durable. The mat fits easily into dog travel crates and it’s slip-resistant so your dog won’t be thrown around as you drive.
- Durable: The mat comes with a sturdy and plush fleece mat that stands up to regular use.
- Comfortable: The mat’s over-one-inch, thick, soft, and cozy cotton core will provide comfort for your dog as you drive to your hunting spot.
- Soft and Breathable: The dog bed’s inner material is soft and breathable and thus fantastic for puppies’ vertebra and skin.
- Washable: You can machine wash or hand wash the bed as well as tumble dry it. And, it maintains its original form even after numerous cycles of washing.
- Anti-slip bottom: The bed’s anti-slip bottom keeps it in position making it ideal for outdoor car travel.
- Machine and hand washable
- Available in numerous sizes that fit into most crates
- Comes with a fleece cover
- The bed is made of sturdy and durable material, but if your dog loves chewing and tearing things apart, it may not be ideal
This mat fits easily into travel crates, it’s slip-resistant, it’s cozy, and it’s washable. All these features make it an excellent traveling dog bed as well as one of the best indoor dog house beds dog beds.
Best Dog Car Seat Covers
This dog hammock bed keeps your dog safe and comfortable during a ride and it protects your car’s upholstery from dirt and scratches. It thus allows you to head out for your hunting trip with your dog, in a safe, convenient, and comfortable way.
You can also go to the beach or dog park without being bothered about wet fur and muddy paws messing your seat during your return trip.
- Easy to install: This car seat cover comes with numerous and adjustable anchors and straps that keep it securely in place. Besides, you can turn it from a hammock dog bed to a typical seat cover when your payload shifts from your hunting dog to your kids. Installation only takes a couple of seconds.
- Washable: You can clean this seat cover using your washing machine, which is easier than cleaning your car seats.
- Waterproof: This dog hammock bed is water-resistant and it’s filled with soft and cozy material that keeps your dog comfortable and secure.
- Non-slip: The hammock’s anchors and the non-slip system makes the cover super-stable – your dog won’t be thrown around during rough drives.
- Fits perfectly into American cars: With its unique design, this hammock fits into the average US cars, SUVs, and Trucks. Plus, it comes with a free dog seat belt and a luxury storage bag.
- Satisfaction money-back warranty: You can get your money back if you don’t like it.
- Installs quickly
- Easy to clean
- Protects your car’s upholstery from scratches and dirt
- Durable design
- Works best when the seats are down
With its easy to install, easy to clean, sturdy build features coupled with a comfortable material, this hammock dog bed will keep your dog comfortable, and your car upholstery clean.
Best Crate Pad Dog Bed
This luxury crate pad is made of super-gentle fleece material that feels like baby skin. The thick cotton stuffed inside will keep your pet comfortable in all seasons. It’s cool and breathable during the summer and cozy and warm in winter.
Besides, it comes in numerous sizes that suit almost all breeds of dogs, and you can choose from 4 colors.
- Cozy and durable: This crate pad is made from ultra-soft fleece cloth that’s gentle for your dog. And, its reinforced stitching makes it sturdy and durable.
- Anti-slip: Its rubber bottom has anti-slip properties, and thus it keeps the bed firmly in position and it protects your wooden floor.
- Orthopedic grade design: The bed is 100 percent orthopedic – it soothes your dog’s muscles and joints and it’s made of hypoallergenic material.
- Washable: This pet bed is machine and hand washable. Also, it maintains its original color and shape even after numerous cycles of washing.
- Machine and hand washable
- Comes in many colors
- Soft and comfy
- Orthopedic design
- May not be ideal if your pup is a chewer
You can place this pad anywhere, which is great because it can also serve as your furniture protector.
Best Dog Sofa-Style Bed
This super-cozy Fuehaven Sofa-Style Bed excels both in its form and function. It’s designed to provide maximum comfort for dogs of all sizes and ages. Its sofa design includes three side fluffy bolsters that create a nicely cushioned loft and fantastic orthopedic support for your hunting dog.
- Bolster design: The fluffy bolsters are light but comfortable and supportive. The bed’s three-side design provides adequate headrest. The bolsters’ orthopedic support is also great for aching joints.
- Cozy sleep surface: The bed’s surface is made from luxuriously soft fabric which is complementary to the water-resistant and smooth micro suede that covers the bolsters and the sides.
- Orthopedic Foam Base: The bed’s egg-crate foam interior provides immense support for your dog’s aching muscles and joints after your hunting trip, and it allows your dog to have more restorative sleep. Besides, the bed’s peak-and-valley build allows for air circulation and thus enhances comfort.
- Customer assurance: This product has 90-day coverage for material defects.
- Comfortable sleep surface
- Easy on joints
- Orthopedic design
- Available in numerous variants that suit from the smallest to the largest dog
- Not ideal for dogs with destructive chewing tendencies or excessive teething
All these features make this Furhaven bed with removable covers ideal for dogs of all sizes and health conditions.
Frequently Asked Questions
What’s the Best Type of Cover for my Dog Bed?
The type of cover on your dog bed influences its comfort, efficiency, and health benefits. A good cover should be breathable, soft, and non-abrasive with a feel that’s pleasant to your dog. Great covers should also be washable, durable, and replaceable.
The types of cover material include natural fibers like wool and cotton and synthetics like nylon and polyester. You should evaluate the materials based on whether they can keep your dog comfortable by combating excessive body heat, moisture, and dog body odor.
You should also consider your dog’s tendencies. The durability of a dog bed depends on whether your dog is one of those that climb gently into bed and then lie down to rest, or one of those that stomp and scratch the bed before taking a nap.
Which Type of Dog Bed will Provide the Right Kind of Support for My Dog?
Typically, the interior cushioning material of most dog beds is made from orthopedic foam, memory foam, or polyester filling.
Sometimes cedar ribbons are blended with spun polyester. This mixture cleats a chromatic aroma that prevents ticks and fleas, diminishes doggy smells, and bolsters the support provided by the synthetic cushioning substance.
Cushioning material that delivers adequate support should be comfortable and soft. It should also be odor and moisture resistant – some materials are blended with anti-microbial substances that combat canine smells. The ideal cushioning material should also be tough and resilient – the material should bounce back and retain its shape even after your dog has walked and slept on it for years.
Where should I Use a Dog Bed?
Most dog beds are meant to be used in-doors, but you can also place them in a kennel where your dog either lives part-time or full-time. But there are also beds built specifically for trailers, crates, or dog boxes, which will help your dog stay warm and comfortable in any weather or get dry after a downpour or a wash.
These types of specialized beds provide an excellent resting spot for your dog after days of hunting or intense training. So always carry your dog bed when you’re heading for a trip.
The ideal travel dog beds are compact – you can roll or fold them up and carry them into a motel room or whichever place you’re staying with your dog. A dog that’s accompanying you on your trips deserves a decent dog bed to ensure its comfort, well-being, and health.
How Do I Choose a Suitable Bed for My Dog?
When deciding which bed to buy for your dog, you should think of the structural and design features that are vital. The shape and size of the bed should be hinged on the weight and dimensions of your dog.
Is your dog a ‘sprawler’ or a ‘baller’? Does your canine curl with its nose pushed into its belly when it sleeps or does it stretch out with its legs, head, and neck distended?
Besides, when deciding on the shape and size of your dog bed, you should also consider the size of the space in your house or kennel. You should also weigh between buying a bed made from moisture resistant and tough synthetic material, and breathable and soft natural fabric. The cushioning material at the core of a bed can vary from odor-absorbing natural material like cedar ribbons to super-resilient synthetic material like spun polyester treated with odor-control chemicals.
How Do I Maintain My Dog Bed?
Go for practical beds that can be conveniently and easily maintained and cleaned. All dog beds become dirty with regular use, so ideally a bed should come with a removable and washable cover.
The inner stuffing, however, will compact or break down with long-term use so at some point you’ll toss out the worn bed and get a new one.
To optimize the utility of your dog beds, you can use two of them. At the bottom, you can place an orthopedic bed (made of natural materials) with padded soft-sided bolsters. On top, you can place a less expensive but sturdy bed (made of synthetic material) that can be hand or machine washed numerous times without losing its shape and feel.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.
36 years old, been hunting and fishing my entire life – love the outdoors, family, and all kinds of hunting and fishing! I have spent thousands of hours hunting hogs and training hunting dogs, but I’m always learning new stuff and really happy to be sharing them with you! hit me up with an email in the contact form if you have any questions.